The Lagonda Rapier was designed
by Tim Ashcroft in 1933 and went into production in 1934 with it's
twin overhead cam 1104cc engine (62.5 dia bore x 90.0 stroke).
The cars were sold without a body which was mainly supplied by
Abbot although other body makers such as Eagle and March also
built bodies for their customers.
The cars carried on being built
successfully for just over one more year before the company hit
financial difficulty. During 1935 Lagonda
went in to liquidation, a take-over bid came from A.Good who
from W.O. Bentley, shortly afterwards it was decided that the
Rapier was not worth keeping in production. This allowed
Tim Ashcroft, William Oates and Nevil Brockelbank to put in
a bid to run the production of the Rapier. To this end the
three became directors of their newly formed company,
Rapier Cars Limited. Cars built before the new
company was formed had the Lagonda badge on their radiator (as
seen at the
top of this page) and cars built by Rapier cars limited had a
new badge [ badge ].
Rapier cars Limited carried on with the
production of the Rapier until 1937, although there were cars
registered later than this in 1938.
Help increase this content and accuacy of this section. If you
know of accurate interesting historical facts about Lagonda
have any pictures we would love to be able to publish them here. please